Hannover Tramway Museum
Trams, Trolleys, Streetcars
The Collection of Trams
The large fleet of trams had been collected during the seventies and eighties but as most trams had been placed in the open air they deteriorated rapidly and many had to be scrapped later.
Nevertheless the collection still represents a profile of German tramway history from horsetram (only as replica), different types of pre WW I and WW II trams to postwar developments in eastern and western Germany.
Horse tramways are represented by this replica. Originally built by Hamburg's tramway as a trailer for maintenance of way during the twenties, the car was rebuilt as horsetram in 1978.
Freiburg 34 - built in 1909 - is an example of early 20th Century trams. Wooden carbody, delivered with open but soon rebuilt with closed platforms, teak side covering.
All Freiburgs trams had a similar design until first postwar carbodies arrived in 1949.
Between the World Wars
Two exponents of the twenties.
Built in 1928 but looking much older: Vienna motor 4037 is one of our cars in service. With its large platforms and wheel base it is a metropolitan tram. 4037 was in service in Vienna until 1981, as museum tram in Amsterdam until 2002 and arrived in Wehmingen in 2003.
These robust trams were built for Hannover in 1928. These first Hannover steelbody cars were used mostly on interurban routes. When most interurban lines were closed these cars replaced even younger trams on urban lines and were the last fourwheelers in service until 1976.
After World War II recovery of the tramways started soon. In 1948 the association of West German tramways developed a standard carbody to replace burnt-out carbodies of prewar cars.
The photo shows two examples: Duesseldorf 5289 of 1951 with a chassis of 1938 and Hannover 236 of 1950 with a chassis of 1928.
East Germany also rebuilt prewar trams with new bodies during the fifties. When the GDR was no longer allowed to build new tramways but had to buy trams from CKD Tatra, Prague,CSSR since 1960, again old trams were reconstructed which was still allowed. In fact for most of the cars only very few old parts were reused and the last cars were complete new trams - as Berlin 3011.
Postwar Bogie Cars
Following the American developement, more and more bogie cars came into service. Switzerland, Belgium and Holland, Skandinavia and finally Germany introduced larger cars. From the "classic" bogiecar to the articulated car with 6, 8, 10 or even 12 axles.
The photo shows a "classic" Duewag. Standardised components enabled Duewag to produce huge fleets of cheap but reliable trams which soon where acquired by most German tramways.
Before 1945 only few articulated trams had been built in Germany. 1956 Duewag introduced its line of articulated trams with Jacobs bogie, three years later MF Esslingen designed a fouraxle articulated "Kurzgelenkwagen" especially for metre-gauge tramway of Stuttgart. Only eight trams had been built in standard-gauge as our car Neunkirchen 2.